Department of Chemical Oceanography
Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute (AORI)
The University of Tokyo (UTokyo)
Alex is a marine biologist and oceanographic engineer by training, with multi-disciplinary research interests at the interface between marine ecology and oceanography. He received Honours degrees in both Science and Engineering (Marine Biology and Ocean Systems Engineering) and a Ph.D. (Oceanography and Marine Ecology) from The University of Western Australia. As a Fulbright Scholar, and then Postdoctoral Scholar, at Scripps Insitution of Oceanography, San Diego, and in his current position as a Research Fellow in the Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute at The University of Tokyo, Dr Wyatt’s novel integration of oceanography, isotope ecology and engineering has begun to shed new light on the biogeochemical function, diet shifts, and foraging specialization of globally threatened marine ecosystems and species. read more
2006 – 2011 Ph.D., Oceans Institute, The University of Western Australia (UWA)
1999 – 2004 B.E. (Hons), Ocean Systems Engineering, UWA
1999 – 2002 B.Sc. (Hons), Marine Biology, UWA
2016 – Visiting Researcher, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST)
2015 – Research Fellow (Pathway-to-Position), AORI, UTokyo
2013 – 2015 CREST Project Researcher, AORI, UTokyo
2011 – 2013 JSPS Research Fellow, AORI, UTokyo
2009 – 2011 Fulbright Western Australia Scholar, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
2006 – Director, Enviro Marine Consulting Pty Ltd
2004 – 2006 Consultant – Marine Environmental Engineer, International Risk Consultants (IRC)
2004 – Director, Perfect English Pty Ltd
- Association for the Sciences of Limnology & Oceanography (ASLO)
- Australian Coral Reef Society
- Australian Fulbright Alumni Association
- Australian Marine Sciences Association (AMSA)
- The Institution of Engineers, Australia
- International Society for Reef Studies (ISRS)
- Japan Coral Reef Society (JCRS)
- The Oceanography Society (TOS)
- Reviewer for: Aquatic Invasions, Biogeosciences, Bulletin of Marine Science, Comptes Rendus Biologies, Coral Reefs, Ecology, Environmental Biology of Fishes, Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science, Food Webs, Geophysical Research Letters, Hydrobiologia, Isotopes in Environment & Health Studies, Journal of Oceanography, Journal of Sea Research, Limnology & Oceanography, Marine Biology, Marine Biology Research, Marine Environmental Research, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Oecologia, PLoS One, Royal Society Open Science, Scientific Reports, U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF).
Peer review activity publicly available at publons.com/a/1174378/
2017 – 2018 Elucidating jungle-to-reef connections using state-of-the-art chemical tracers: Towards harmony between human activities and the pristine environments of Iriomote-jima, Japan. Nissei Foundation, Grant for Environmental Issues Research (Young Researcher) | 環境問題研究助成 (若手研究).
2016 – 2017 A refuge for coral reef biodiversity: trophic function and reproduction in the twilight zone. Sumitomo Foundation, Environmental Research Grant (住友財団環境研究助成).
2015 – 2017 Oceanographic drivers of coral reef biodiversity hotspots and climate change refugia using novel biomarker approaches. Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Grant-in-Aid of Scientific Research.
2015 – 2018 Development of a novel approach to understand the environmental drivers and trophic responses of deep water (mesophotic) coral ecosystems across the Ryukyu Archipelago. JSPS Grant-in-Aid of Scientific Research (KAKENHI), Challenging Exploratory Research (挑戦的萌芽研究).
2011 – 2013 Source-sink dynamics of organic matter on coral reefs using advanced biomarker techniques. JSPS Grant-in-Aid of Scientific Research.read more
2008 – 2011 Morphological, behavioural and environmental controls on coral feeding: the effect of flow conditions inferred from stable isotope variation. The University of Western Australia.
2008 – 2009 The influence of biological oceanography on coral reef biodiversity. Wildlife Preservation Society (Australia).
Fellowships & Awards
- Dongsha Atoll Research Award, Dongsha Atoll Research Station (2016-17)
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Pathway-to-Position (定着促進) Fellowship (2015–17)
- Early Career Travel Award (3rd Asia-Pacific Coral Reef Symposium), Japan Coral Reef Society (JCRS) (2014)
- Early Career Travel Awards (Ocean Sciences Meetings), ASLO (2012, 2014)
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship (2011–13)
- Fulbright Western Australia Scholarship (2009–11)
- UNESCO IOC / IMarEST Western Australian Marine Science Postgraduate Award (2011)
- Gregory Schwartz Enrichment Grant, Australian-American Fulbright Commission (2010)
- Australian Postgraduate Award (2006–09)
- Samaha Research Scholarship (2006–09)
- CSIRO Wealth from Oceans Postgraduate Scholarship (2006–09)
- Australian Marine Sciences Association (AMSA) Allen Award (2008)
- Oxford University Press Prize (AMSA 2007)
- Janice Klumpp Award, UWA (2007)
- Australian Coral Reef Society Research Award (2007)
- Science Union First Year Botany Prize, UWA (1999)
Specialist Qualifications & Training
- Technical Diving – Technical Diving International (TDI)
- TDI Trimix Diver
- TDI Decompression Procedures Diver
- TDI Advanced Nitrox Diver
- TDI Nitrox Gas Blender
- Commercial Diving – Australian Diver Accreditation Scheme (ADAS)
- ADAS Part 1 – SCUBA to 30 m
- ADAS Part 2 (Restricted) – SSBA to 30 m
- Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP)
- Tropical Offshore Basic Survival Induction and Emergency Training (TBOSIET)
- Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (HUET)
- Senior First Aid/CPR & Advanced Oxygen Resuscitation
For latest publications and citation details see Google Scholar
- Bird, C., Veríssimo, A., Magozzi, S., 67 co-authors, Wyatt, A. S. J., Yool, A. & Trueman, C. (2018) A global perspective on the trophic geography of sharks. Nature Ecology & Evolution 2: 299–305. [link]
- Ohkouchi, N., Chikaraishi, Y., Close, H.G., Fry, B., Larsen, T., Madigan, D.J., McCarthy, M.D., McMahon, K.W., Nagata, T., Naito, Y.I., Ogawa, N.O., Popp, B.N., Steffan, S., Takano, Y., Tayasu, I., Wyatt, A.S.J., Yamaguchi, Y.T. and Yokoyama, Y. (2017) Advances in the application of amino acid nitrogen isotopic analysis in ecological and biogeochemical studies. Organic Geochemistry. 113: 150-174. [link]
- Beitia, C., Nakayama, K., Maruya, Y., Ohtsu, N., Yamasaki, S., Yamane, M., Wyatt, A.S.J. and Komai, K. (2016) Suspended sediment transport estimation by X-ray fluorescence analysis. Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 72: I_039-I_044. [link]
- Wyatt, A.S.J., Lowe, R.J., Humphries, S. and Waite, A.M. (2013) Particulate nutrient fluxes over a fringing coral reef: source-sink dynamics inferred from carbon to nitrogen ratios and stable isotopes. Limnology and Oceanography. 58: 409-427. [link]
- Thibodeau, B., Miyajima, T., Tayasu, I., Wyatt, A.S.J., Watanabe, A., Morimoto, N., Yoshimizu, C. and Nagata, T. (2013) Heterogeneous dissolved organic nitrogen supply in a coral reef: First evidence from nitrogen stable isotope ratios. Coral Reefs. 32:1103–1110. [link]
- Leichter, J.J., Alldredge, A.L., Bernadi, G., Brooks, A.J., Carlson, C.A., Carpenter, R.C., Edmunds, P.J., Fewings, M.R., Hanson, K.M., Holbrook, S.J., Hench, J.L., Nelson, C.E., Schmitt, R.J., Toonen, R.J., Washburn, L. and Wyatt, A.S.J. (2013) Biological and Physical Interactions on a Tropical Island Coral Reef: Transport and Retention Processes Around Moorea, French Polynesia. Oceanography. 26: 52–63. [link]
- Waite, A.M., Rossi, V., Roughan, M., Tilbrook, B., Akl, J., Thompson, P.A., Feng, M., Wyatt, A.S.J. and Raes, E.J. (2013) Formation and maintenance of high-nitrate, low pH layers in the Eastern Indian Ocean and the role of nitrogen fixation. Biogeosciences 10: 5691-5702. [link]
- Wyatt, A.S.J., Waite, A.M. and Humphries, S. (2012) Stable isotope analysis reveals community-level variation in fish trophodynamics across a fringing coral reef. Coral Reefs. 31: 1029-1044. [link]
- Wyatt, A.S.J., Falter, J.L., Lowe, R.J., Humphries, S. and Waite, A.M. (2012) Oceanographic forcing of nutrient uptake and release over a fringing coral reef. Limnology and Oceanography. 57: 402-419. [link]
- Haas, A.F., Nelson, C.E., Wegley Kelly, L., Carlson, C.A., Rohwer, F., Leichter, J.J., Wyatt, A. and Smith, J.E. (2011) Effects of coral reef benthic primary producers on dissolved organic carbon and microbial activity. PLoS ONE. 6(11): e27973. [link]
- Patten, N., Wyatt, A.S.J., Lowe, R.J. and Waite, A.M. (2011) Uptake of picophytoplankton, bacterioplankton and virioplankton by a fringing coral reef community (Ningaloo Reef, Australia). Coral Reefs. 30: 555-567. [link]
- Wyatt, A.S.J., Humphries, S. and Waite, A.M. (2010) Inter and intra-specific variability in isotopic fractionation factors in coral reef fishes: implications for diet and food web reconstruction. PLoS One. 5(10): e13682. [link]
- Wyatt, A.S.J., Lowe, R., Humphries, S. and Waite, A.M. (2010) Particulate nutrient fluxes over a fringing coral reef: scales of phytoplankton production and mechanisms of supply. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 405: 131-130. [link]
- Nakayama, K., Kiyoki, S., Ishikawa, T. and Wyatt, A.S.J. (2005) Mechanism Responsible for Front Around Tokyo Bay Mouth. Japan Society of Civil Engineers Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. 49: 1291-1296 [in Japanese].
- Nakayama, K., Kiyoki, S. and Wyatt, A. (2005) Mechanism responsible for mixing at the mouth of Tokyo Bay. Civil Engineering in the Oceans VI. American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, Virgina. pp.132-144. [link]
- Wyatt, A.S.J., Hewitt, C.L., Walker, D.I. and Ward, T.J. (2005) Marine Introductions in the Shark Bay World Heritage Property, Western Australia: a preliminary assessment. Diversity and Distributions. 11: 33-44. [link]
- Wyatt, A.S.J. (2018) New approaches for exploring coral reef structure and function: Understanding and preserving a globally threatened ecosystem. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 7 February.
- Wyatt, A.S.J. (2017) Enhancing multi-tissue isotopic insights into foraging specialization by quantifying growth and nutritional history in elasmobranchs. In: Sato, K. (ed) 第3回 研究者交流座談会軟骨魚類の生理学・繁殖学研究の発展にむけて| The Third Researcher Symposium on Elasmobranch Physiology and Reproduction: Towards overcoming research challenges. Okinawa Churashima Foundation, Nago, Okinawa, Japan, 1-2 Decenber.
- Wyatt, A.S.J. (2015) Into the twilight zone: Approaches for understanding the environmental drivers and trophic responses of mesophotic coral ecosystems. The 18th Annual Conference of the Japanese Coral Reef Society. Young Scientists (若手会) Mini-Symposium. Tokyo, Japan. 26-29 November.
- Wyatt, A.S.J. (2014) Stable isotope approaches for understanding the trophic ecology of elasmobranchs focusing on feeding and aggregation of planktivores. In: Sato, K. (ed) 第1回 研究者交流座談会 軟骨魚類の生理学・繁殖学研究～諸課題とその克服にむけて | The First Researcher Symposium on Elasmobranch Physiology and Reproduction: Towards overcoming research challenges. Okinawa Churashima Foundation, Nago, Okinawa, Japan, 14-15 June.