We welcome enquiries from outstanding students and postdocs. We are particularly seeking ambitious and creative people that are passionate about ocean science with strong scientific/engineering backgrounds and high-level writing and communication skills. Please check out any specific advertised opportunities (🡺) and the details provided below, as well as your fit with our research themes, before getting in touch.
Please be sure to explore this site to determine if your background and interests are a good fit with our mission and one or more of our research themes before making contact. Also check out the information at the HKUST Office of Postgraduate Studies website and PhD Fellowships video to the right (🡺).
Several funding opportunities may be available to support outstanding graduate students, including:
- the HKUST Postgraduate Studentship (PGS) [December deadline]
- the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) [December deadline]
- the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP), which may be particularly suitable for Japanese students (日本語のリンク) [January or February deadline]
Be sure to note the HKUST Admission Requirements need to be met, which include:
- bachelor’s degree (for M.Phil.) or a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance (for Ph.D.)
- English Language ability (e.g. native English or English undergrad; or TOEFL-iBT: 80, TOEFL-pBT: 550 etc.)
Please see the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) at HKUST for advertised research experience opportunities, or get in touch if you are motivated to propose and pursue your own research idea in the lab.
Postdocs & Research Assistants
Funded Postdoctoral and Research Assistant opportunities will be advertised as they become available, see the latest opportunities above (⬈).
We also welcome enquiries from (potentially) fellowship-funded Postdoctoral Scholars and strongly encourage any such prospective postdocs to begin looking into funding sources at least a year before their intended start date. Interested individuals should get in touch to begin discussing possible projects and funding sources as early as possible. When making contact please be sure to send your CV (with at least three referee contact details) and one or two of your most relevant publications (or manuscripts).